A recent rental scam has been reported in Grand Junction for a house located at 2908 1/2 Walnut Ave Grand Junction, CO 81504.
A man advised that the home was being listed for rent at cheaper prices than comparable houses. He said he called the phone number (248) 491-3826 and that the party wanted him to sign a contract on Google. The man contacted Google and they advised that it was a scam. The email they contacted him from was “allowed to be the best.”
The man found the listing on a housing website– Realtor.com.The listing is still active under this website, and the number has since been changed: (614) 835-6702. The man claiming to be the landlord of the property is named Williams Lindah Alexander. The contract he wanted the man to sign over Google can be found here: False Tenancy Agreement
Some things to keep in mind before signing ANYTHING online or when searching for a property to rent/buy:
– If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS.
– Be aware of geographical distance. If you are dealing with someone in another city or country, be aware that it might be a scam.
– Know who you’re dealing with online, including by email and websites. It is best to buy/rent from a local property management service or individual.
– Avoid buying or renting without seeing the property first. There have been instances where people have signed contracts for properties and find that people already live there.
– Avoid unusual forms of payment or being rushed. NEVER sign a contract or lease over the internet.