Online Sales Exchange Safe Zone Now Available at GJPD #GVCopBeat #ShareGJ

Posted on Updated on

Craigslist2In today’s economy, it’s especially valuable to have options available for citizens to buy, sell, or trade goods.  Craigslist, Facebook, and other online platforms are a great way to sell that car you’ve never gotten around to fixing, or buy a gently used lawnmower for a reasonable price.  However, some people are understandably skeptical about inviting a stranger to their home to make that exchange, or to venture into an area with which they’re unfamiliar, with a pocket full of cash.

All over the country, ecommerce safe zones are popping up.  Numerous law enforcement agencies are providing a safe place to make those exchanges.  The Grand Junction Police Department is happy to start providing that service to our community, as well.

The process itself is really simple.  Our lobby is open from 8am to 6pm, seven days a week.  We also have two well-lit spots in our parking lot that we’ve designated for before or after hours trades.  Feel free to arrange to meet here to buy, sell, or trade your items.  Both our lobby and parking lot are under recorded video surveillance, 24 hours per day.  No appointment is needed, no advance notification necessary.  There won’t be an officer monitoring the transaction.  Our intention is to provide a location where citizens can feel safe and comfortable in these types of situations, knowing that police are only feet away.  If someone is unwilling to meet you at the police department to make your exchange, you may have just avoided a scam, or worse.

The Grand Junction Police Department is always looking for proactive ways to clamp down on crime and partner with our community.  We hope our citizens will find this service useful.  Questions?  Concerns?  Let us know!  Call (970)549-5114, or email heidid@gjcity.org.

9 thoughts on “Online Sales Exchange Safe Zone Now Available at GJPD #GVCopBeat #ShareGJ

Samantha Swingle said:
    October 9, 2015 at 5:17 pm

This is such a peace-of-mind provision for those transactions with unknown parties. Thank you GJPD.

Ritamarie said:
    October 9, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Sounds good to me. It is freaky to have strangers show up at your door acting like your best friend because a deal was made on Facebook.

I mean, I too, like to help people. I remember going to help someone thread a sewing machine and bravely went to their apartment to give them some thread and a sewing machine needle because I am a sewer and felt that I could help; we connected on Facebook.

I think we were both extremely uncomfortable because it just isn’t safe for either party.

It all turned out okay. But I don’t want to do that again….I was scared.

Then I bought a bed from off of Facebook; same news feed as the person needing help with the sewing machine.

She was a really needing some money.

So I took the bed off her hands.

But it too was scary because we were complete strangers to one another.

I had strange traffic in the area here for a while after the deal. She made a comment that she could help me set up the bed and wanted to cone inside. I wasn’t prepared to set the bed up and asked her to just leave it outside the porch. I felt threatened about letter a perfect stranger inside my modest home. Even if it is Facebook.

It is just really scary to make transactions with total strangers.

To me, Facebook is total strangers even if they are on your friends list.

Even friends from schools or a long time ago are total strangers even if they are Facebook friends.

Thank you for creating a safe place to do business.

Sincerely…..thank you from my heart.

Robin said:
    October 9, 2015 at 7:16 pm

This is terrific. Thank you!! Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 22:55:23 +0000 To: rbrat7@hotmail.com

Michelle Tyler said:
    October 9, 2015 at 7:29 pm

That’s a good idea ,that should work great ,thanks for making this place available for everyone ,should cut down on scams .

John Edwards said:
    October 10, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Great idea! I have made a few purchases online and pretty much felt the same way about meeting strangers in an unfamiliar area, and have also thought the same of sellers who might have the same concerns of me, not knowing who I am, etc. Now we can meet in a safe place. Great offer, will defiantly take the GJPD up on this.

James Williams said:
    October 10, 2015 at 11:10 pm

We also offer a safe place to meet at our shop “Rhema Music & Clothing Company” in Fruita 🙂

Laurie Valencia said:
    October 11, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I love this! Thank you GJPD for making this a safer situation. 🙂

Brenda Malone said:
    October 11, 2015 at 10:09 pm

You are the best. May God protect and watch over you. You are in our prayers. This is wonderful. Thank You

mary said:
    May 28, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Wonderful idea. Thank you:)