On Monday, December 30, 2019, emergency personnel were dispatched to 715 Struthers Avenue on a report of an unresponsive male found in the restrooms. Upon arrival, the victim, identified as Jose Phillip Gallegos, 31, of Grand Junction, was found deceased. The Mesa County Coroner’s Office determined the manner and cause of death to be homicide as a result of multiple gunshot wounds.
The investigation into this incident led by detectives with the Grand Junction Police Department has resulted in the arrest of Joshua Baltazar Gallegos, 23, of Fruita. Gallegos, who is currently in the custody of another law enforcement agency on unrelated charges, is facing charges of:
- Murder in the Second Degree (F3)
- Assault in the First Degree (F3)
- Possession of Weapons by a Previous Offender (F6)
- Tampering with Physical Evidence (F6)
- Possession of a Schedule II Controlled Substance (DF4)
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
Gallegos remains in the custody of the La Plata County Detention Facility, pending extradition to Mesa County. No details on that time frame are available at this time. A recent booking photo for Gallegos is attached.